Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Stokes' annual allergy follow-up

Stokes goes to the allergist about once a year to retest him for egg and peanut allergies to see if he's outgrown either of them. I told the nurse about our experience at the lake last year when Stokes ate a Butterfinger bite (contains peanuts) and immediately broke out in a rash and ended up getting sick (revisit that fun time here!). Due to that reaction, it was clear that he has NOT outgrown his peanut allergy yet so they only tested for eggs this go round. They did the prick test on his back. The top spot on his back in the picture below is the egg prick, the bottom left is the histamine and the bottom right is the saline. You can probably tell just at first glance that the egg prick definitely showed a reaction, just like the histamine. Bummer. We have the chance to repeat his blood test to see if he could possibly be ready for eggs in baked goods, so we'll see. We'll wait until next year and hope that he's totally outgrown it by then!

Stokes's allergy test on his back
He was really good at his appointment so I told him we'd go get him a treat. I let him pick it out himself (after I carefully read the label to make sure there were no peanuts/eggs/exposure to either). He got a full-sized chocolate bar with caramel inside. OKAY! We got back in the car and I had one quick errand to do before dropping him back off at school. At one point, I was just driving along and noticed that Stokes was quiet, so I asked him, absentmindedly, "How's that treat, buddy?" No response. I peeked in the rear view and saw him asleep! With the candy bar in his hand and chocolate all over his face. He seriously did not even eat more than 3 or 4 bites before he nodded off. The thought of chocolate and caramel all over my car (when he inevitably dropped it) made my head spin so I quickly pulled over to fix the situation. I was just laughing. Poor little guy! I was thankful I had a full container of Wet Ones to clean off yucky hands, mouth, fingers, etc.

Asleep with his treat!

Close-up
See all that chocolate melting in his hand?
YUCK. 

I hope and pray that we will get to go to one of these appointments and be given the all clear for his food allergies. I wish we didn't have to look at all labels and be so cautious about anything and everything that he eats or wants to eat! Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment