Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Ryan's EEG

We had the neurology appointment for Ryan on Monday and he got his EEG. I didn't know much about EEGs and wasn't sure what to expect but it was actually a relaxing experience.

It started out as kind of a stressful morning because I was told not to let him sleep/nap before the appt. That is hard to do when...a) I have 2 other babies that I have to change and feed so I can't just hold him and bounce him constantly, and b) I have never tried to keep a baby awake; usually I am focused on trying to get them to sleep, so it was a new experience for me. Anyway, Thomas worked from home that morning to help with the babies so I could focus on Ryan and get out the door in time to make it to the appt without being late. 

When we got there they put us in a room with a hospital bed and I was told that I could just sit or lay on the bed and hold him, feed him, whatever I needed to do. The nurse/EEG tech got this cap with holes in it and put it on Ryan's head. He did not like it. In his defense, he was hungry and tired and that contraption was probably scary! Then she put gel on his head where each of the holes was and stuck an electrode there. When she was done she wrapped his head in gauze to keep the cap in place since it was a little too big for his head. Then she dimmed the lights and left the room. I fed Ryan, then burped him and then we just sat there and I held him. With the silence and the dim lights and a sweet baby in my arms, I was at peace. I think Ryan and I both dozed off a little. 45 minutes later the door opened and the lights came back on and we were done! 

I got a call from the neurologist later that afternoon with the results. She said his brain showed some immaturity still but she did not see any seizure-like activity. Huge sigh of relief! I don't have the answers as to what the immaturity means and the long term effects it will have on him and that is just something that time will tell. We don't have to go back to the neurologist until April.

After our appointment was over yesterday, I randomly ran into a triplet mom friend of mine while I was still in the medical building. She just happened to be there for an appointment with one of her kids as well. Her name is Carly and she also had triplet boys. She and I met at the hospital because she works there as a labor & delivery nurse. She is so sweet and would come to visit me while I was on bed rest and provide advice and encouragement. I took that opportunity to pick her brain about her  pregnancy and her boys since they are about a year and a half older than mine. Carly is a great role model for me and other than a few emails, I hadn't seen or talked to her since leaving the hospital. It was great to see her and I got to meet her son Zachary. He was such a cutie! :)

Pictures of Ryan from the EEG
Removing the gauze covering

The cap with holes for electrodes

Sweet baby after the cap was off (gel is in hair & we had to wash his hair yesterday) (oh yeah, and my camera phone flash didn't go off for these so they're really dark)...




No comments:

Post a Comment