Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Superhero day

Schools all over South Carolina are participating in Superhero day today in memory of Jacob Hall. Jacob was a little boy that was shot at his elementary school last week in Townville, SC, which is only about an hour away from where we live. It was a shock to our community and many, many prayers and well wishes have been said for sweet Jacob and his family, along with everyone that was affected by the Townville school shooting. Having a tragedy like this hit so close to home is a very, very sad and unfortunate wake up call about how these senseless acts can happen anywhere and at any time. I don't plan to address this with the boys at all right now. They are too young and too innocent to need to know anything about this, but perhaps they will learn about it one day and no doubt will end up learning about others. It makes me incredibly sad to think that they will have to do drills in school to prepare for this and that I will be nervous to send them to school and scared for their safety when they aren't in my arms. The world is a sad, sad place. 

Today is the funeral for little Jacob Hall. Our family's prayers are with Jacob's family and friends. What else can be said? In support of Jacob, our boys are participating in the Superhero day and wearing some new t-shirts to school. I'm sure they won't be alone. I have a feeling that the community will come together in a unified way and in a massive effort to make sure that Jacob won't be forgotten. Kids all over the Upstate of South Carolina will be wearing their superhero attire. My hope is that this unparalleled show of support will somehow and in someway provide some comfort to Jacob's family through this horrific tragedy. Please join me with your thoughts and prayers, today especially. #TownvilleStrong


Although the reason for the Superhero day is a sad one, the boys did have fun with their new shirts and enjoyed getting these superhero pictures made before school this morning. 

Stokes is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Ryan is Superman
William is Spiderman

Doing some Superhero moves

Sweet boys! <3

It's Spiderman!

Acting like Spiderman (kinda??)

Ahhhhhhh

Superhero time!

He's a TMNT!

My sweet Superman (and he really is Superman)
Finger belongs to William, pointing out Superman :)

Cutie boy!
When I dropped the boys off, I loved seeing their cute classmates and awesome teachers decked out in Superhero attire. I'll leave you with this last article. It was apparently written by someone from my church, who I don't directly know, that is currently student teaching at Townville Elementary. It's well-written and poignant. Read here: "I'm a Student-Teacher at Townville Elementary, and My Heart Aches."

No comments:

Post a Comment