Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My Triplet Pregnancy

Long post alert!  Beware. :)

I got a positive pregnancy test on March 21, 2013. You may be wondering how I remember that exact date. Well it's a big deal that your life is going to be turned upside down in a matter of months by becoming a parent, but the truth is that it was 2 days before my friend, Jacqui's, wedding in Charleston, SC. I was a bridesmaid and was wondering how to mask the fact that I wasn't going to be drinking at this super fun, BIG, awesome occasion. During this stage in life, if you don't already have kids and aren't drinking, conclusions are made! Since this was our first pregnancy, I was a little nervous and wanted to follow the 12 week announcement protocol. Luckily a lot of my friends have kids and have passed great advice around over the years about how to hide early pregnancy and tricks of the trade. Needless to say, the wedding was FABULOUS, I made it through without much, if any, suspicion, and was very proud of myself for partying it up on the dance floor ALL night and staying until the very end. We did bail on the after party at the bar though. It was time to go to bed!  I wish I had a dance floor pic to post but alas, I did not bring my camera.  Managed to get this one from FB though...
Jacqui's wedding day :)

Another interesting event of those first few weeks after the positive test was our big vacation to Dominican Republic with #teamDR, aka Heather and Walker Young. We made travel plans months and months before and did not think at all that we might be preggers! Of course the resort was all-inclusive and Thomas made a point to tell me that it had ten bars.  Really, babe?!?!?!  I really want to know how many bars it has where I can go and order a bottled water!  It took Thomas a second to realize what he had just said.  We were both getting used to the news haha! Before we left for the trip I called my OB to get clearance to travel, looked up foods pregnant people shouldn't eat, etc. The eating thing should be easy, but if you're in a foreign country that is Spanish speaking and don't know how to translate "pasteurized", it becomes a little harder! :) I was a little paranoid, this being the first pregnancy and all, so I drank a lot of bottled water and ate a lot of salads. This is awesome at an all-inclusive Carribbean resort (insert sarcasm). Anyway, in an effort to once again maintain the 12 week announcement protocol, we made up a lame story about why I wasn't drinking there and although I am sure they had their thoughts and theories, the Youngs were very gracious and let it go for the week. We had a wonderful time and hope we can take a big family vacation with them and their future children in upcoming years (or even possibly another adult vacay....babysitters, anyone?!?) haha!





We got back from the Dominican on April 7 and my ultrasound appointment was April 8. We went to the appointment and were so nervous to see if our pregnancy was the real deal. I didn't "feel" pregnant and didn't have any pregnancy symptoms and was concerned that I would miscarry.  I am paranoid. We ended up getting more news than we bargained for.  We were TOTALLY shocked to hear that we were having triplets! Despite what I am sure are assumed first thoughts from most people, these babies are not the product of IVF or any sort of medical "procedure"! You can imagine how caught off guard we were at our appointment. I could not even speak. Thomas dove into some nervous, "I don't know what to say" type of laugh and immediately grabbed my hand and told me it would be ok. My first thoughts turned to, "how are we possibly going to be able to do this" and, "we have no family in town and are on our own"....help! Thomas kept saying that God doesn't give you more than you can handle and spent a lot of time and energy trying to reassure me. The doctor explained to us that we would have appointments with my regular OB (for you Greenville people, I saw Dr. Beck at Piedmont and she is incredible...and beautiful!!!) as well as a Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM)/high risk doctor, which is standard for high order multiples pregnancies.

We spent several weeks trying to adjust to the news and start thinking and planning for the future. This involved a lot of crying (for me), emotional ups and downs, financial analysis, blog reading,  googling, and quite a few sleepless nights for me since I am a worrier by nature!

During the first trimester, we had no issues at all with the pregnancy and I was cruising right along. I mean, there was no morning sickness, I was not feeling tired, none of the normal first trimester complaints! What a blessing! I took this to mean that God did indeed have these triplets in His plan for us and was giving me some reprieve.  The babies were growing well and I was gaining weight appropriately. It all was pretty much a miracle, based on what I hear are typical first trimesters with multiples. I could spend an entire blog post on gaining weight, nutrition for triplet pregnancies, etc but suffice it to say that it takes a lot of vitamin supplements, extra calories, eating every 2 hours, daily Ensure drinks, and protein, protein, protein! The more weight the Mom gains the bigger and healthier the babies will be. Goodbye, vanity! 

I was told that a typical triplet pregnancy goes to 32 weeks (a full term pregnancy is 40 weeks).  My OB told me that the longest that they would let me go was 34 weeks, since carrying triplets is very strenuous on the mom's body.  I took this news to mean that I would have the babies somewhere between 32 weeks (the average!!!) - 34 weeks (longest I would be allowed to carry the babies), which in my case was early to mid-October.  When people would ask when they were "due", I would answer that I would probably deliver in October, which is earlier than their end of November full-term due date.  I had no doubts about this because I considered myself to be healthier than the "average" person and my pregnancy was going so well that it seemed like my body was ready to take on this big challenge and of course I would make it to at least the average gestation for triples.  My MFM told me about a lot of issues that I could face during this pregnancy due to the increased risks of having triplets - preeclampsia, nutritional deficiencies, incompetent cervix, gestational diabetes, and so on.  He also mentioned that I was at a disadvantage having never been pregnant before since my uterus had never been previously stretched out and it was going to be stretched further than what it was designed for.  In addition, my semi-petite stature would not do as well as someone that is taller and bigger in general.  Despite these warnings, which made me break down each time I heard them, I just didn't think I would be afflicted with any of these issues.  There were also some serious concerns about the babies.  I knew that pre-term babies are not fully developed, but felt fairly comfortable that my babies would continue growing in utero and although they would most likely have to go to the NICU, they would be doing well and would be released shortly after.  I just knew that we would have the healthiest 32 - 34 week preemies ever.  Of course we would, because my pregnancy had been so super easy and healthy! :) 

All was well until I hit around 22 weeks gestation.  I had been out of town 3 times in the last 2 weeks and was feeling just fine.  I was trying not to "do too much" and rest a lot but the problem with that is that you feel absolutely fine until you don't, and then it's too late.  All of a sudden I started feeling uncomfortable, but thought that pregnancy was starting to catch up to me.  All pregnant women feel uncomfortable at some point and obviously with triplets I would begin to feel uncomfortable sooner than a singleton pregnancy.  Totally normal, right?!?!?  Since the time I announced my pregnancy at work, I had tried not to be too needy and just "keep on keeping on".  That being said, the morning I went to work on the Monday I was 22 weeks and 1 day (7/22/13) and told my boss and our facility manager that I thought I might need a reserved parking spot near the door where I entered.  It was getting too hard to park way out in the back of the parking lot and walk (sounds lazy, huh!!) and when I was going to all my appointments during the middle of the day, the close parking spots were all taken.  That same morning, I called my OB and left a message for the nurse letting her know that I was just feeling "uncomfortable" and wanted to make sure all was OK.  She called me back and said that everything was probably fine, but just to be on the safe side to come in the office that afternoon and they would work me in.  I went to the appointment that afternoon and my ultrasound showed everything was just fine!  Then I had to get checked by the Doctor, who proceeded to tell me that she thought I was slightly dialated.  Wait, what was that???  Dialated???  Not so fast, my friend.  That couldn't be right!  I was only 22 weeks 1 day and I had a cerclage (stitch to help prevent early dialation).  She asked when my next appointment with the MFM was scheduled, which was set for the following Monday.  She calmly mentioned that she thought I should be seen sooner than a week, perhaps the next day.  At this point, it was 5:00 PM and the MFM office would be closed and it was too late to call them.  She said the secretary would call MFM the following morning and let me know my appointment time. I got a call at 9:00 AM the next morning. I had just gotten to work shortly before and had gotten into my email, reports, etc. and wasn't really expecting to hear anything for a few hours.  I was surprised but answered my phone and the secretary asked me how quickly I could get to the MFM office.  This should have thrown me for a loop, but in my typical obtuseness, I just answered that I could get there in about 30 minutes.  She followed up by saying that my appointment would be set for 9:30 and I should head over there.  Ummmm, OK.  Will do.  I sent my team at worked a quick email saying that I had an appointment come up and that I would be back ASAP.  Then I IM'ed my husband to see if he wanted to go to the appointment with me (we work at the same company in the same office...very convenient! :).  I didn't hear back from him quickly enough so I logged out of my computer and went out to my car.  Before I pulled out of the parking lot, he came running out and flagged me down.  THANK GOODNESS!  He had gotten my IM and was a little concerned and thought that he should try to come to this appointment with me.  I cannot explain how relieved I was in the long run that this happened and he was able to come.  Anyway, we drive to the MFM office and wait for at least 30 minutes, which made me feel like nothing was too worrisome or they wouldn't make me wait.  Was this my mind trying to tell me that everything was OK?!?!?  Probably so.  I had another ultrasound and everything again looked fine. Deep sigh of relief.  All this work up for nothing.  The tech told me the Doctor wanted to hook me up to the contraction machine just to check and we walked over to a different room. A nurse got me hooked up and told me to just relax.  Ok, no problem.  Thomas and I were just sitting there and he kept telling me not to look at the contraction monitor and making small talk.  The nurse returned shortly and told me that I was contracting every 2 minutes.  She explained that was way too much for what they want to see at 22 weeks and 2 days gestation.  I could not believe it.  How in the world was I contracting every 2 minutes?!?!?!  I couldn't feel the contractions at all.  I just had an overall uncomfortable feeling, no cramping, no sharp back pain, no urge to scream out.  Apparently, these were not strong contractions, but were contractions none the less.  My MFM doctor came in and told me that this stage was not great and that I needed to go to the hospital for admission ASAP.  To say that Thomas and I were floored is an understatement.  We Could. Not. Believe we were going to the hospital.  Like I said, I was cruising along with no issues!  How was this possible?!?!  We were both so scared, nervous, and worried.  We were unsure about what this news meant, what the next steps were, how "in danger" this pregnancy was and our heads were spinning.  I'm pretty sure I started crying and my heart was racing.  I was so glad that Thomas was there with me.  If I had been by myself I think I would have really lost it!  We checked out at MFM and headed to the hospital...

...this story is to be continued on the "Bed Rest" post.

Here are my pregnancy pics week by week up to week 21.

Week 13


Week 14

Week 15

Week 16
Week 17

Week 18

Week 19

Week 19

Week 20

Week 21

Somehow I missed Week 22...oops!

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible story. I remember my husbands face when our obgyn in Sugar Land (best ob dr I could have asked for) told us that we were having twins. We used to joke all the time about me having twins because I am a twin. Never thought it would really happen, I thought it was supposed to skip a generation. Good luck with everything Katharine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jual Cytotec jakarta Obat Telat Bulan Misoprostol Cytotec asli ONLINE
    Diberikan dosis dan aturan pakai YanG benar supaya TELAT BULAN Cytotec berhasil 100%,
    Jika cara minum cytotec yang benar tanpa efek samping dan tidak membahayakan jiwa.
    WANITA HAMIL bersih total.

    Obat Misoprostol Cytotec Obat Telat Bulan asli diproduksi oleh USA. Per tablet Rp 125.000,-
    Mengandung MISOPROSTOL 200mcg Lebih berkhasiat dan efektif di bandingkan
    MISOPROSTOL Lokal seperti Gastrul, Citrosol dan OBAT TELAT BULAN MISOPROSTOL CYTOTEC yang generik.
    Cytotec pfizer Aman cepat akurat untuk mengatasi TELAT DATANG BULAN.
    Diberikan dosis cytotec misoprostol dan aturan pakai YanG tepat supaya TELAT BULAN berhasil 100%,
    aman dan tidak membahayakan jiwa.

    Harga Obat Cytotec diapotik
    paket 1. Obat Cytotec Telat 1 Bulan @500 rb.
    paket 2. Obat Cytotec Telat 2 Bulan @950 rb.
    paket 3. Obat Cytotec Telat 3 Bulan @1,450 000

    - ketik. telat 1 bulan / 2 bulan _nama dan alamat_tranfer via mandiri/BRI
    - Konfirmasi jika ANDA sudah tranfer pembayaran
    - Setelah transfer silahkan sms NAMA & ALAMAT TUJUAN LENGKAP.
    - Obat Cytotec 200mcg kami kirim hari itu juga.
    - Kami akan Konfirmasi No Resi pada Anda
    - Misoprostol Cytotec 200mcg Dikirim kealamat tujuan

    lancar haid
    misoprostolhotline.com
    Jual Cytotec jogja : +628562 800 145

    ReplyDelete