Sunday, June 12, 2016

First week of school recap


 
The first week of school is in the books!

After-school picture on Friday!


The week started off wonderfully! No tears were shed (by the little guys) and everyone was excited.


I threw a wrench into it when I came for Ryan's OT session on Wednesday. OT goes through lunch so that Emily can work with Ryan on self feeding and I didn't realize it but Ryan's class is in the lunch room at the same time as Stokes and William's class. I could see them in their classroom lining up to come to the lunch room and they were being so good and standing in line. As soon as Stokes saw me, he was smiling so big and just beaming. I could tell he was super excited to see me! What an awesome feeling. But then, as soon as they got through the classroom doors, they broke out of line and made a beeline for me. I was so happy to see them, too. But I also felt bad that they were breaking the rules. They ate lunch just fine, but would look over at me throughout. When it was time to go back to their room, they once again broke out of line to give me hugs.

By Thursday morning, we had crying during drop-off from Stokes. In the mornings, he is excited to get in the car and to wear his book bag and even to walk into the building. But when it comes time for Mama and Dada to leave, he gets so teary and upset. It's hard to walk out of the room when he's crying. He cried on Friday morning during drop-off, too. I know this will get better over time.

Each time I go to pick them up after school, which I do by myself now, they are so happy to see me and it's just a great feeling when they run up and want me to hold them and hug them. It's the best part of my day.

After pick-ups int he evenings this week, we had a few distractions. Monday night, Ryan got a haircut with Dada and I took Stokes and William to drop off food for a friend of mine. We didn't get home until after our typical dinnertime, so it was a whirlwind of dinner, bath time and bedtime. On Tuesday evening, their cousins, Anna and Taylor, who are staying with MaSha this week, came over to have dinner with us at our house. The boys adore their cousins and had so much fun playing Ring Around the Rosie!


Ring around the rosie with cousins!

Evening fun
Then on Wednesday, we took the boys over to MaSha's to see Anna and Taylor again and hang out over there. Thursday evening was when things started breaking down. The ride home was pretty brutal. Crying and screaming over cars and hats (mainly from Stokes who wanted the car that William was playing with), and general crankiness. Then when we got home, there was more fighting over toys while I was fixing dinner and William got  mad and was crying about something that I can't even remember now - that indicates the importance of "the thing" ha! My sweet babies turned into angry little fellas. I'm not sure if I'm getting a glimpse of the "terrible twos" or my boys are turning into "threenagers" or if it's just the adjustment of getting used to school and being extra tired from all the stimulation. Regardless, I hope and pray that it will get a bit better moving forward.

By Friday, the pick-up routine was starting to get a little easier. Stokes was starting to pipe up a little on the drive home but I found a way to engage/distract and I had them all laughing, which sounds like the sweetest sound ever when you've been wondering how they've been doing.


BIG laughs during the drive home after school on Friday!
By the time we got home, everyone was in good moods and we played out front for a while until MaSha, Taylor and Anna arrived. I think all things considered, this was a very good week for us!


Letting Mama take a picture!

Posing with cousins (and Stokes didn't want to
have anything to do with it - poor Anna!)

This weekend will be a good break for all of us to regroup and relax. Aunt Ashley's coming to town and we'll get to spend time with her and see more of Taylor, Anna and MaSha. Stay tuned for our weekend update!

No comments:

Post a Comment