Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A nighttime update

First and most importantly, the boys are sleeping better at night. YAY! Right now put the babies to bed after their 9 pm bottle. Then we wake them up to feed them again at midnight. After they go back to bed following the midnight feeding, we let them sleep until they wake up on their own. The last several mornings that has been 6:30 am. I get in bed around 1:00 after completing the midnight feeding so that's 5.5 hours of sleep for me. It's not my good old 8 hours...yet...but we will get there. Not only are they sleeping for a longer stretch of time, they are going down more easily and I haven't had to go to their nursery several times throughout the night. I swear, a few times it felt like I went in there 50 times. Not too long ago, Stokes woke me up by crying and I went in, gave him his paci, soothed him back to sleep, and went back to my room. No sooner did my head hit the pillow than the cries started up again. Those nights are so tiresome! They are getting much better about soothing themselves so we dont have to get up as many times. Thomas and I will let them cry for a few minutes before going to check on them and they often quiet right down. I am so glad that we are moving in the right direction towards a good, full night's sleep.

The big update for this post though is that we have separated the triplets. Now they each sleep in their own crib. They are growing so much and Thomas and I conceded that it was time to split them up. When they all slept in the same crib, we put them head to toe the width of the crib. More and more often when I would go in to wake them up, someone's head would be touching the railing - not in a dangerous way though! It was becoming apparent that they wouldn't fit very much longer. I decided that we would have to do the big switch on a weekend night so Thomas could help me if the boys didn't take very well to sleeping alone. During the week I try to handle most of the nighttime stuff so Thomas can get decent sleep. Last Saturday, the day they turned 5 months old, we chose to pull the trigger on a whim. We quickly gathered all the toys and things in the unused cribs and put them away. We put the boys to sleep separately and crossed our fingers that it would go okay. Whadaya know...they did just fine! I was so relieved that they transitioned so well.

Here are some pictures I took today of them napping in their own cribs.

William

Ryan

Stokes (he was supposed to be napping, but you can see his eyes are open - but at least he was quiet!)

Proof that they are outgrowing their previous sleeping arrangement. Not that you didn't believe me but I wanted an excuse to take one last picture of them like this! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment