Thursday, January 23, 2014

Going for a stroll

On Monday we had the nicest weather! My mother-in-law, MaSha, was planning to come Tuesday to help me while Thomas was out of town for work and I was on my own for the day on Monday. Sometimes when I am taking care of the boys by myself I feel somewhat empowered. It is a great feeling to know that I can do it, especially when everything is running smoothly. I was feeling pretty good about the day and experiencing a little cabin fever from being inside all the time. I decided to take advantage of the gorgeous, sunny 60 degree weather and take the babies on a walk, solo! I know that probably doesn't sound like a huge deal, but it kind of is when you have three! :) And it was my first one...hopefully the first of many!

The logistics of going for a walk are pretty crazy. It's a mini-workout before the walk starts. We don't have a triplet stroller for many reasons, so I have planned in my mind what I would do if I had to go somewhere with them without help. The answer? Push a double stroller and wear a baby. Of course! So that morning I finished the 9 o'clock feeding, got the boys changed (diapers and clothes), got in some tummy time and I had pumped and we had about an hour left before the next feeding. I knew it was the perfect opportunity for a walk on a gorgeous day and took advantage! I took the boys downstairs one by one. In case you're wondering, that is a lot of up and down stairs, which is the norm around here. I used to carry 2 babies at a time up and down the stairs, but now that they're getting bigger, I feel better to do it one at a time. I got all 3 babies situated in a seat downstairs and realized that I would probably need a sweatshirt, even though it wasn't too cold. I ran back up and got my sweatshirt and my Ergo carrier. Then got back downstairs and realized I needed hats for the boys...back upstairs and down again. During this time, William started fussing so I went ahead and strapped him on in my Ergo, which he likes. He calmed down. I got hats on the babies then went out to the garage to set up the stroller. It's a double Snap n Go and it literally just folds out and you snap car seats into it. I typically keep the strollers in my trunk, so I got it out (of course the single stroller was on top, so I had to get that one out, then take out the double, then put the single back in and shut the trunk). Then I unfolded the stroller and got it ready for the car seats to snap in. Next I opened up the van doors and crawled in to get 2 car seats. Keep in mind I am wearing William in my carrier this whole time and trying not to disturb him too much when I am jostling around with all this equipment. Luckily he was asleep and didn't mind a bit, although I am sure it looked pretty comical. At this point I took the car seats inside, 1 by 1, since I am holding William, and then got Stokes and Ryan buckled in and a blanket tucked over them. I was feeling a little out of breath already although the actual walk hasn't started. I felt like I have already gotten some cardio in, but my work was not yet done! Next step was taking the car seats, with a baby in them, out to the garage and snapped into the stroller...you guessed it...1 by 1. Two more trips in and out and we were finally ready to go! At this point it was 11:30, we had used up 30 minutes with all the preparation and we had about a half hour for the walk so we could be home in time for the 12:00 feeding. We set off and the day was absolutely beautiful. I got out my phone and start returning calls and I was feeling accomplished! It took all of about 3 minutes before I got winded, but hey, you gotta start somewhere! The phone calls were short lived because I needed to breathe - haha - but in my defense, I had not worked out since we found out I was pregnant with triplets last April! Then I had to start from scratch to literally just walk again after 5 weeks of bed rest and completely losing all muscle and cardio endurance. Right after I put my phone away, I pulled up my sweatshirt sleeves and was actually sweating. It turns out I didn't need the sweatshirt afterall, but then I couldn't take it off because I was wearing William, but I digress. Ok, so we made it once around the small loop in my neighborhood (yes, it is a little hilly....well...at least not totally flat) and we were feeling good, apart from being a little sweaty, I mean glowing, and out of breath! The babies were sleeping and probably enjoying the fresh air and I was glad not to be cooped up inside and I know I needed the exercise! We still had 15 minutes until 12:00 so we went for loop #2. I cannot tell you how much I was enjoying this walk. The weather could not have been better. I was, in fact, enjoying the walk so much with the sun shining and cool, fresh air in my lungs that I did not even notice that Stokes' blanket had fallen off somewhere along the way. Oopsies. 

We were getting close to home when my phone rings and it's Thomas. He came home from work for lunch so that he could help with the 12:00 feeding and grab a quick bite to eat. He apparently went inside and didn't hear anything and ran upstairs to look for the babies and me only to find an empty house. He kinda freaked out. My van was there and no one at home, so I can see why he was worried. Plus I didn't call him with a heads up because I thought we would be back before he got home and then I could brag about my accomplishment. So I answered the phone and let him know that we were ok and just on a walk and almost back home. We rounded the corner and made it back to the house and Thomas was outside waiting on us. I got him to snap these pictures to capture this triumphant first solo walk! I was really glad he was there so he could help me get the babies back inside, fold and put the stroller back in the van and get the car seats back in the van. I also got him to drive around the loop to find the blanket we dropped since I was kind of exhausted and didn't have time before the noon feeding began.



I know this was a long story about a short walk but it was a big deal for me! I felt a sense of liberation knowing I could take them out on my own. Not that I would want to take them somewhere like say, a doctor visit, but just knowing that I could is important to me.

You may be wondering why I took them out during cold and flu season since I am such a stickler about keeping them away from germs. Just so you know, our pediatrician said open-air type activities are fine, weather permitting, but we need to stay away from indoor retail stores & restaurants with lots of people and anyone with germs or is sick. So basically we aren't hiding from nature germs, just people germs! Does that make sense?

I am already looking forward to spring and warm weather so we can try more triplet adventures, because everything's an adventure with triplets, even just a walk around the block! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I remember my first time going out solo with my twins. I STILL talk about how accomplished I felt. I can't even imagine doing it with triplets!

    ReplyDelete