Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Ryan's Christmas Program

Ryan's school does a super sweet Christmas program each year for parents to come and enjoy our beautiful kids in a program setting.


The teachers and kids perform about 4 songs with props like bells and noise makers. Some of the kids know all of the words and motions and they are all so cute and have so much love to share!




After the songs, we get to sit down for a little (early) lunch and Santa even came by for a visit! We didn't get a chance to visit with Santa while we were there but I did get to talk to Ryan's teachers and therapists, as well as other parents there.

The BIG, EXCITING thing that happened, and the main reason I'm giving this its own blog post, is that Ryan drank from a real straw! You may have noticed in some pictures or other posts, but Ryan has a very specific cup that he drinks from. He transitioned from a bottle straight to a honey bear cup (it's a real thing that occupational therapists use!) and has not caught on to using the straws with traditional sippy cups. Needless to say, I didn't have a honey bear cup on me at the Christmas program as Ryan has his own cup that stays at school and it must have been in his classroom. So while we were eating lunch, I didn't have much of an option for his drink. I grabbed a juice box....just to see if we could get him to drink it....and to my amazement, he DID! I was so proud!



We are still using the honey bear day-to-day but knowing that he drank from a juice box straw this one time leaves us open to further possibilities! And, because I make mistakes constantly and forget things all the time, it's nice to know that there may be a juice box option for him if/when I forget his honey bear the next time we're out and about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment