Thursday, January 11, 2018

Our Mission...

...is Fishin'.

[I found this post in my "Drafts" and didn't realize I'd never published it. It's too sweet not to share, so I'm publishing it now, even though it happened a while back!]

"Our Mission is Fishin'" is the motto that we use a lot at our church. The premise is that we want to be a church that welcomes and invites all who believe in Jesus but don't have a church home to come worship with us, or for those that are looking for something else in their life but don't know God yet to come and hear His message through our church. I would never want to be pushy or make anyone feel uncomfortable, so I just leave open invitations for friends and acquaintances. That said, Thomas and I haven't been very good at fishin' (I swear, I've invited plenty of people to come to church with us and no one takes me up on it!), William took the reigns for fishing in this family.

Here's the story:
Thomas dropped William off at school (10/19/17). I followed later with Stokes and Ryan in my car to drop them off. By the time we got there, William had probably already been there for about 10 minutes or so. When I took Stokes to the class where he and William go, their teacher told me that she had just seen the sweetest thing ever. Hmmm...I was immediately curious!

She said that William and a friend of his were at the table talking. She wasn't really paying attention to what was being said, until the friend asked William, "who is Jesus?" She said that William went on to tell his friend alllllll about Jesus. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to hear that conversation and hear what William said about Jesus. In that moment when his teacher told me about the conversation, I could have died from being so blown away and proud. How cool is that?!?! I laughingly said, "well, at least we're doing a few things right!" :)

My sweet boy loves Jesus, and although he's not always a willing participant in nighttime prayers (the struggle is real), I think he's getting the overall message that we want him to have.

So, although Thomas and I haven't had much success with inviting visitors to church, at least my 4 year old son is spreading the Word. Keep it up, William! And are you thinking what I'm thinking??? Future Pastor??? Only time will tell. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment