Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Proud (?) Owner

This is a little bit bittersweet for me, but I now have a handicapped placard for my van. I know it's going to make life easier when I need to go somewhere with Ryan. His wheelchair is heavy so if it's not a far distance in and out of wherever we're going, it's easier (especially on my back) to just carry him instead of get the wheelchair in and out of my car. BUT, it still is kind of sad to know that we're a family that needs a handicapped placard. I hope that doesn't sound insensitive, but it goes back to my Holland post - I never pictured our life turning out this way, as beautiful as it is.


I think it may take some getting used to for me to realize that I can actually park in a handicapped spot.  I'm so used to just driving by and getting the next closest one. I think I will be very thankful for this placard, especially as time goes on and Ryan continues growing and getting bigger and heavier.

Side notes: this was not a very easy process. I am grateful to some of the other parents at Ryan's special needs school that responded to a post I did on their Facebook PTA page asking for help.
Their guidance and assistance provided me with the info I needed to get this done. And yes, it should be a much easier process, but you know how these things are... (eye roll)

No comments:

Post a Comment