Thursday, June 8, 2017

Adventures in Potty Training, part VI

This potty training series is back. Again. And yes, we've been working on potty training since last August. It's now June. *Sigh
#williteverend

Ok, here's the good news. No, wait....here's the GREAT news! William slept in underwear overnight Tuesday night for the very first time and.......NO ACCIDENTS! I was fully prepared to walk in Wednesday morning and immediately change the sheets and start cleaning up. Since this was our first night to try it, I was shocked that he was totally dry in the morning. I'm no dummy. I know that he will have some overnight accidents, but we are off to a fantastic start. I would say that William is 99% potty trained. I can't even remember the last time he had an accident. It's been at least a few weeks, if memory serves.* Edit - I started this post yesterday and then last night, he slept in underwear again, and the bed was soaked. We'll keep working on it.

To celebrate his first night of underwear and no accidents, we made Rice Krispies treats (which is awesome because they don't have eggs - no substitutions have to be made - or peanuts!). I even let the boys help me (a little) to make them. I was so proud and excited for William!

Stokes, on the other hand, had a major speed bump. Major. He was going along just fine, few accidents during the day and diapers/pull ups at night. Let me note that Stokes has always had very sensitive skin. He used to get very bad diaper rashes regularly as an infant, several times they were bad enough that we had to get Rx rash cream. So recently, for some reason, he didn't want to poop on the potty anymore and was holding it. Due to that, he would wind up with streaks in his underwear. He wouldn't tell anyone about the small accident in his drawers. The streaks that somehow made it out would irritate his skin. He would get a really bad rash, which would make it painful to clean or use the potty. So he would be even less interested in using the potty or even letting it out. See where I'm going here? Vicious cycle. Not good. His rash got so bad that it would break my heart to try to clean his bottom. He would scream and cry and I know that it was really, really painful for him. We once again had to go to the pediatrician to get some guidance (no Rx this time), but we got aggressive on stool softeners, probiotics and rash cream (Flanders!!!). That whole fiasco lasted probably about 2.5 - 3 weeks. It was not awesome. His bottom is finally healed now though and he's doing #2s on the potty...and getting big celebrations each time! He's not totally consistent, but we've gotten through the roughest patch and as long as we can keep moving in the right direction, I'm happy.

Checked on them one night last week before
I went to bed and found this. Stokes had gotten
onto William's bed with him. They love each other!

I am sincerely hoping that the 7th post in this series is the one celebrating that we have 2 potty trained little fellas! One day maybe we can say we have THREE potty trained little fellas, but we'll take that one day at a time. Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment