Thursday, September 18, 2014

NICU Reunion

I have been so excited to take the boys to the NICU Reunion this year. I went as a volunteer last year while the boys were still in the NICU. I got a taste of what it was like then and have been just waiting to go back with 3 healthy little guys. I was excited to see our nurses and the neonatologists and show off the boys. We didn't get to see our primary nurses (the nurses that were "assigned" to them and took care of them 90% of the time), but did see Dr. Ohning, our neonatologist and some of the other nurses we got to know. We also got to see other NICU families that we know and some of those that we met while we were there. I saw a lot of other multiples, including 7 month old triplet girls that were also born at 27 weeks and spent about 2.5 months in the NICU. As you can probably imagine, the ratio of multiples to singletons in the NICU is much higher than in any other scenario. So many multiples have to spend time in the NICU due to being born too early.

Going to the NICU Reunion brought back old memories, feelings and emotions. While I was driving into the hospital entrance, I was taken back to my daily routine while the boys were taking up residence there on the 6th floor. Parking in the garage felt like old hat, just like I used to do every day last fall. It really was like a time warp, except this time I had all 3 boys with me in the car. While our trip to the reunion was a happy one, I couldn't help but think of all the mamas and families that don't get to have a happy NICU reunion with their kid(s). I don't think about the NICU all the time, but need a little reminder to pray for all those babies that are currently there and their families that are struggling through the experience.

While we were at the hospital, I took the opportunity to visit my old nurses from when I was on bed rest. I saw several of my nurses/friends and got to introduce the boys to them. I told the boys that those ladies listened to their heart beat every single day and took such good care of them for the 5 weeks leading up to their birth. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures with my high risk nurses and I regret not thinking about it at the time.

The hospital did a great job with the reunion. There was tons of food, games, characters dressed up, and a photo booth. We missed out on the photo booth this year, but will plan to try it out next year! Thomas and I were both beaming parents and so proud to show off our beautiful, fun, healthy triplets. I'm already looking forward to the reunion next year!

Pictures...
Thomas and his sons
The boys and their Mama

The boys and Mary Ellen
 Mary Ellen wasn't one of our primary nurses, but was assigned to Stokes once very early on. I have such a crystal clear memory of Mary Ellen and she holds a big place in my heart. When the babies were just 3 days old, she called my nurse (I was still at the hospital) and told her to bring me to the NICU with my camera but they didn't tell me why. When I got there, Mary Ellen surprised me with a beautiful and special gift that will forever mean the world to me. She let me hold Stokes. It was the first time I got to hold any of my babies. We did "kangaroo care" and she even took off his CPAP while I held him. It was 30 minutes long and was such an amazing and beautiful half an hour for me.

Mary Ellen also happens to be good friends with one of our primary nurses, Ruth Ann. While at the reunion, she was so kind to get her phone out and let us do FaceTime with Ruth Ann. I couldn't wait to show her how much the boys have changed over the last year! I think Ruth Ann loved seeing them, too!

Dr. Ohning




Dr. Ohning was the Neonatologist that we saw most often. He was there in the delivery room when the boys were born and was the most active in their NICU care. He made a point to come by and speak to us often while the boys were there and we appreciated his incredible bedside manner and his crazy sense of humor.



Me at the March of Dimes table
William getting his thumb in the inkpad for a fingerprint

Putting his fingerprint on the elephant
The March of Dimes had a table set up for the babies and Mamas to put their fingerprints on a Mama and Baby Elephant canvas. They also did miniature versions with a magnet on the back that we got to take home. So cute!

Stokes, me, Bonnie and Grant
 Bonnie was my NICU Mama friend. Like me, she was on the high risk floor on bed rest for several weeks before her son, Grant was born and Grant had to spend time in the NICU, just like our boys. Bonnie and I heard about each other through a mutual friend, and became each others' allies in the war zone of prematurity. We would go down to the cafeteria to eat lunch and trade stories. We knew what issues each of our sons were facing and could talk about our fears, frustrations, hopes and love for our sons. We talked about our families and our pre-NICU lives. We became good confidants and have continued to stay in touch. We haven't done a play date...yet!...but plan to do it sometime soon!

All the boys - triplets, Thomas, Brian (Bonnie's husband) and Grant

Us with the Welshes
 I've talked about the Welsh family (Laurel, Chris and triplets - Jace, Christopher and Addison) on the blog here before. Remember her from my March for Babies post? Laurel is a case worker in the NICU and of course, a fellow triplet mom. She came to introduce herself to me in the NICU while I was sitting with my boys and her babies were at home and were 11 weeks old at the time. I was blown away by Laurel! I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that her babies were at home (instead of the NICU where we were), that she was at work already and that she had her SANITY! She looked great, well-rested (she assures me she wasn't LOL), and was just ahead of me in terms of parenting triplets. She also had 3 older daughters. What an amazing Mom! She had it all together and it didn't take me long to realize that I could learn a lot from Laurel. She gave me tips, advice, encouragement and introduced to me to online triplet mom group that I love. She and her family are so very sweet and special to us.


The Peery Family with Grace Cromer
Grace is a beauty queen, as you can see. She is also a triplet. She and her two brothers were premature and spent time in the NICU and now are thriving teenagers. Grace and her Mom are still very involved in the GHS NICU and actually came to visit me last summer while I was on bed rest, knowing that my likelihood of having babies that had to go to the NICU after birth was basically inevitable. Grace was an inspiration while I was laying in bed trying to keep my babies from being born and feeling so anxious and worried. She was a perfect example of a preemie triplet that is now healthy, successful and doing great! I took a lot of comfort in seeing a real-life NICU success story. I've since seen them several times and we always make to point to visit with each other when we're in the same place. Grace will compete for Miss Teen SC next summer and the Peery family is behind her 100% and we wish her much luck!!!

NP Ally with the boys
I met Ally, one of the NICU Nurse Practioners, when she was taking care of one of the boys. She is truly the sweetest person! I felt an instant connection with her and loved it each time she got to take care of one of all of our crew. She went above and beyond for us while we were in the NICU. I saw her in April and she told me she was expecting! She's now 31 weeks and in the final stretch. She and her husband Robert will be amazing parents and I am so thrilled for them. I loved seeing her at the reunion and can't wait to see pictures of her sweet bundle of joy (Abby or Bennett...they aren't finding out gender! ahhhhh!!!) in about 9 weeks.

The special people that work in the NICU are one of a kind. They see devastating things and beautiful miracles constantly. Can you even imagine the roller coaster of emotions they have to endure day in and day out? We were lucky to have such an amazing team to take care of our boys. We appreciate each and every one of them so much more than I can express in words.

Honestly, going to the reunion, writing this post, thinking about our lives at this time last year has really brought out so many emotions in me. I'm blubbering here typing this just thinking about the NICU, our experience, the incredible medical team, etc. I think I was a little detached emotionally when we were going through this tough time last year. I was scared. I was nervous. I didn't know what was going on and what our outcome would be. It was only afterwards, when we realized that the boys survived and were going to be ok that I let the full emotional toll sink in. God has touched our lives and blessed us in incredible ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment