Saturday, March 2, 2019

First Trip to the Library!

We have a brand new, state of the art public library that opened up near our house. I had heard other friends talk about it and how much their kids enjoyed going but we hadn't been yet. I'd also heard that kids can get their own library card once they turn 5. So on a Saturday in January that Thomas had to be at a work sales meeting, and it was rainy and yucky and we couldn't go outside, I decided to make a special trip for just the boys and me. On the way to the library, I hyped it up and told them how awesome it would be! And it was. The library has a separate area that is specifically designed for young children. Everything in there is bright and colorful and all is geared towards the littles. Since it's separated from the rest of the library, you can allow your kids to explore in there without worrying that they'll get lost to go too far away.

The first thing we did when we got in there was to get the boys their very own library cards. They also got cute tote bags for their books. The librarians were really sweet and helpful. The library had kid-friendly computers set up for the kids to play on with educational type games. That's what my kids were most interested in from the get-go.


Apart from the computers, there were a few other small play stations among the books. Below, William was playing with a train set. There was also a light up table with fake x-rays to look at and toy shapes that are see-through when set on the table. That was pretty cool and interesting to the kids.


Several of the end caps on the book shelves have sensory-friendly games like this that are brightly colored and have pieces and parts that move. I got Ryan set up on this game and he enjoyed it!


I read Ryan a book or two while the other boys played on the computers and explored around in the kids section.

I let them each pick out 1 movie and 1 book.

Using the kiosk to check out the books and
movies!

Stokes with his library card

Ryan with his library card

William with his library card

It was the perfect activity for a rainy day. Although I'm feeling guilty about how long it took us to check it out since it opened, I'm glad that we now have been and we've got the library cards and tote bags to prove it. It was a very positive experience for the boys! I'd love to instill a love a reading and an appreciation for the library system in them. Since that first trip, they've asked several more times to go to the library...mainly for the movies...and I'm thankful that they liked it! We've been another time or two since. I know their Grandma Robbie would be so proud of this. If she were around, those boys would have already been to the library countless times with her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment