Tuesday, August 16, 2016

First day

My emotions are in full swing right now. I had a full-out ugly cry in my car this morning. You see, today is Ryan's first day at his new school.

Ryan will go to his new school for special needs on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays half days. He'll ride the bus there and then the bus will drop him off at his full-day school on those afternoons. It is going to be a big adjustment for all of us.

This morning, we all drove to school like we always do, but only Stokes and William went in and got dropped off. Then I had to go to another school to meet Ryan's bus.

In Mama's car waiting for the bus

Back to school supplies, diapers and his book bag

Selfie with Mama while waiting
on the bus
When the bus pulled up, I walked him to the door and handed him to the bus monitor. I can't explain it but my heart constricted. I quickly turned and went back to my car to get his book bag and "stuff" so I got a minute to compose myself. I came back to the bus and made sure he was buckled in OK and got a picture of him before he left. He didn't seem scared at all. He's so brave. I wish I could be as brave as Ryan.

In the school bus

He's in there...

...and there they go.
I immediately got into my car and sobbed. I know he'll do great and this school is going to be so wonderful for him but my emotions cannot seem to be put in check right now. Just writing this up is making me cry all over again! I can't wait to see him this afternoon. I wish he could tell me all about his day.

I've already emailed the teacher and keep refreshing my email to see if I got a response. In my head I know I need to be patient because she has to teach the class and I definitely want her full attention to be there in the classroom with those students, but I am dying to hear back from her.

Another kicker today for the emotional roller coaster was that at the other school, it was transition day. A lot of the kids from Ryan's class moved up to Stokes and William's class and a lot of their former classmates moved up to another class. I'm not sure why I would get teary over that, but just seeing all of Ryan's friends in the class with Stokes and William choked me up. I know Ryan will make new friends and his new classmates will be just as sweet as those that left, but it is breaking my heart a little bit today.

You know the saying: The only thing that's constant is change. Well, that sure is true. I know my boys will continue to grow up and move into each subsequent stage in life, but I also know that as their Mama, I will also love them and treat them as my babies and get emotional when I'm nervous or scared or worried for them. Luckily these are are all good changes and updates and I have confidence in each one of them to take the transition head-on. They're such good boys.

From Ryan's new school orientation last week:

Ryan and his new teacher

I think we're going to like Miss Kristin

Ryan meeting and playing with
his new OT
Please say a prayer for Ryan to have a good first day of school, along with all of the other kids in Greenville County. Pray for all the teachers (and therapists), bus drivers, aides, staff, etc. I pray this is a good and successful year for all!

1 comment:

  1. Oh girl, I'm behind on the blog, and we've been behind on catching up...I just about cried with you, reading this...I'm pretty sure my heart was tensing up, or I was holding my breath, as I read. We will be praying! You know Auntie Heather is right around the corner, for anything he needs!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete