Monday, October 12, 2015

A Decade

Yesterday, Oct. 11, 2015, marks 10 years since my Mom passed away. It seems like a lifetime ago with how different our family and lives are since then, but it also seems very recent - I can very vividly remember a lot of things about that day. It seems unfathomable that it has been 10 years.

I'm not going to write a long post about this anniversary. But I do intend to start talking to my boys about their Grandma Robbie.

I read a friend's Facebook post recently that inspired me. He, too, has lost his mama and has little kids of his own. I'm going to summarize, but it said something about how he talks to his daughter about his own mom a lot and how he wants his kids to know about her. He asked his daughter what her grandma would say if she were sitting there and the daughter answered with something that was relevant and important to her grandma. My friend goes on to say that he felt his Mom's presence and misses her.

I really haven't yet starting talking to my boys about my Mom, and I don't know why. Maybe I'm worried that the concept is too complex for them to understand. Maybe I don't want to confuse them. Maybe I'm worried that it will make me sad. I don't know the reason. But regardless, it's important for them to get to know who she was. I'm missing a huge opportunity and reading my friend's Facebook post made me realize it. I'm making a resolution that I'm going to talk to them about her and show them pictures of her. I'm going to do my part.

Friends and family, if you knew my Mom, or even if you didn't, feel free to talk to my boys about her when you're around them. Hearing stories or memories about her coming from people other than me will probably further cement her legacy for them and put her firmly into their lives.

She was too wonderful a person not to be shared with the next generation. I miss her so much my heart aches. Much love to my Mama. xoxo

3 comments:

  1. My heart aches for you and with you. Hard to believe it's been 10 years. The world is certainly a better place because she was in it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I didn't know your Mom, I can say without a doubt she would be so incredibly proud of you! I also believe in my heart that she met the boys in Heaven, before they even made their Earthly appearance. I love that you are going to talk to the boys about her, and we will do the same. I love you, sweet friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe its been ten years. Flobbs would have loved the boys and just been obsessed with them! She cared so deeply for her family and friends. Love you buddy!

    ReplyDelete