Friday, November 7, 2014

Happy homecoming annivesary, William

It's been exactly one year since William came home from the NICU after spending the first 74 days of his life there. Here's his discharge post.

William was my smallest son at birth and took the longest out of the 3 of them to learn how to take a bottle, which was one of his main obstacles to being discharged from the NICU. He is now the biggest and is the best eater. My, how times have changed!

At the time, Ryan had been home for almost a week and Stokes had been at home for 4 days, so I had gotten into my routine and had come to the reassuring conclusion that I could, indeed, handle 2 newborns. I knew bringing William home would change the game. I knew I would get even less sleep than what I was currently getting. I knew that I would have to do each task one more time than what I was currently doing. I knew it was going to be hard and I would be exhausted. I also knew that it would all be worth it.

Somehow and some way, I wasn't as scared for William to come home. I knew by then that I could keep them all alive, which was my main goal at that time. I'm being completely serious here! I knew we could all survive and so I decided to take the bull by the horns, so to speak, and I got my mindset into a "let's do it" mode. I would maybe compare bringing triplets home to ripping off a Band-Aid. It's kind of scary but it has to happen. I didn't want to delay the inevitable, so I thought we should get the (triplet) party started.

William cried. A lot. He was not a very happy newly discharged preemie. We later discovered that he had reflux, which caused his crying and fussiness. At the time when he came home, I had no idea about his reflux. That being said, I was so happy to have him home. I finally felt like my family was complete. I needed all 3 boys at home to make this whole thing feel "real".

MaSha came to help out once all of the boys were home and I was so glad to have her here with me. If I remember correctly, Thomas took a few days off work as well. It was a 3 person job in the beginning!

William, you are so incredibly sweet and loving. You completed us and we all thank you for that! Happy homecoming anniversary to my sweet pea!

November 7, 2013

In his car seat and ready to go


Thomas, William and me.
MaSha was waiting in the car with Ryan
and Stokes.
Home sweet home

Sleeping with his brothers for the first time

Ryan, William and Stokes - my 3 peas in a pod
I think this is our first family picture
all together at home. Look how small the
boys look! They look like little dolls!!!
November 7, 2014...
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment