Thursday, August 14, 2014

Heavy Heart

I was debating about whether to write a post about this or not, but I keep thinking about it, so here it goes. I mentioned in this post about a Facebook community I'm in for Mothers of triplets born in 2013. I joined the group about a year ago and although I don't post or comment all that often, I love reading other people's posts and learning a lot about parenting triplets. It's funny how some of the people you "know" online can become friends. 

You should hear the Mamas in this group. At times it sounds like there are hundreds of medical degrees floating around within our group with the medical lingo that we can throw around. Most of the Mothers in the group dealt with the NICU and all that comes along with that, and each and every single one of them dealt with some level of prematurity with their babies. We've all been schooled to some degree about baby health conditions.

One of the Moms in the group, Alex, has BGG triplets (that means boy, girl, girl) around the same time as mine. Her son, Andrew, had a heart defect at birth and although he was OK, they knew that he would eventually have to have surgery to correct it. He had his surgery a few days ago at 11.5 months old. Apparently the surgery took 11 hours. Can you imagine??? They also wouldn't let his parents back to see him right after it was done, which gave Alex an uneasy feeling. Unfortunately, due to complications from the surgery, they had to do CPR on Andrew for over an hour. They eventually hooked him up to the oscillator. At some point they performed an EEG on him and found out there was no brain activity, due to the CPR and lack of oxygen. Heaven gained another angel and his name is Andrew. Our online "family" has just been devastated by this news. Each and every time I think about it I just break down in tears. I do not personally know Alex and I've never met her or even talked to her, but my heart is absolutely broken for her. I have hugged and loved on my kids even more than usual today. Each time I think about it I give each of them a hug and kiss.

Although I get often upset about everything that is going on with Ryan, I have to remember that at least I still have him to hold and hug and kiss and squeeze. I need to remember how fortunate I am that I delivered 27 weekers that are all thriving, despite Ryan's special needs. Not everyone can say the same thing. Not everyone even gets to have any kids at all. There is just a lot of sadness in the world.

Although you most likely don't know Alex either, please remember her, Andrew and their family in your prayers. In case you're feeling generous, here's a Go Fund Me account that has been set up for them. http://www.gofundme.com/FreitasFamily

In addition to Andrew's passing, I've learned that 3 babies in the group for Mothers of triples that are born/due in 2014 passed away the same day. I don't know all the details about those babies, but I know one of them was born at 22 weeks gestation. It has been a rough few days for the triplet baby community.

Finally, another one of the Mamas in our group only has one surviving triplet. She lost one right at birth (Abby) and another (Parker) 2 months later, on Aug. 16, 2013. She is remembering her 2 angels on the anniversary of Parker's death this weekend and came up with a great idea. She is asking for anyone and everyone to do a random act of kindness in memory of her 2 babies in heaven. Check out her blog about it here: http://www.perfectlypeyton.com/2014/08/remembering-angels/.

Sorry for the sad post, but unfortunately there is a lot of heartbreak when it comes to higher order multiples and really any babies with health issues. I just felt like I needed to write about this and get it out there. Hearing stories like these tears me up and takes me back to the first few days and weeks after the boys were born when we didn't know if they would be ok or not. It reminds me to look on the positive side when I get down about Ryan's infantile spasms and developmental delays. I am so incredibly lucky to have my 3 beautiful, sweet boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment