Monday, November 23, 2015

Oh no - it happened

This post was started about two months ago, and I hadn't gotten around to finishing it yet. So this is no longer "news" at our house, but definitely still blog worthy!

I've been dreading this. I knew it was coming.  The clues were right before me, but I kept brushing them off. Willing them to go away and come back...well...never.

Stokes climbed out of his crib. AHHHHHHHHH!

"What's up?!?"

Strong little fella

And guess what - William's probably not far behind. He is starting to put that foot over the edge. He hasn't gotten much farther than that, but good grief, stop right there.

The struggle is real.

What is our solution, you might ask. Well, the truth is, we don't have one. I don't know whether we should get toddler beds for them to use for a little while before moving up to real beds, or just move on up to real beds. Things I'm pondering -

  • Even though toddler beds are not expensive, does it make sense to buy them when the boys won't use them very long? And will they like them?
  • If we got real beds, will they all fit in the same room? Should we give up our guest room and split the boys up? Or keep them all in the same room and squeeze beds in? Should we go with bunk beds, with the intention to only use the bottom bunk for a while? Should we do bunks with a trundle, or bunks with another regular bed?
  • And it's not just the beds we have to buy - potentially mattresses, sheets, comforters, etc. This could mean a whole new look for their bedroom. I'm not ready to take on all these changes!!! These crazy things seriously keep me up at night.


I've also heard horror stories about the transition from crib to bed.

So. Not. Ready. Time, please stop.

I know that seems a bit dramatic, but this is how my mind works. I turn things over in my head and get overwhelmed. I need to take a deep breath.

For the time being, they're staying in cribs, until we make a decision or when the day comes that they're just too big to be in cribs anymore. We've switched the cribs around so that Stokes has the easiest one to climb out of. I mean, we know he's going to do it, and we don't want him to get hurt, so we may as well make it a little easier on him (not to mention that we heard a thud and some crying when he still had the higher crib - no likey). William and Ryan are staying put for now. We have to lock their bedroom door so that our adventurer can't leave the room at night and at naptime.

In the mornings, before I come in, I can hear Stokes get out of his bed and play with toys, try to open the door, etc. He will eventually climb in William's crib and this is the scene I walk into each morning:

"Hey Mama!"

"I'm coming to see youuuuuuu"

"Bye, William!"

Do you have any suggestions for the next phase? Any recommendations for what we should decide to do? Leave me a comment if you have any good ideas for us! :)

2 comments:

  1. They are so cute! Go Stokes! haha I swear he always reminds me of Champs in your posts! We just moved Champs to a bed last week and it's going great. I did the Pottery Barn Kids twin bed - it's real simple - and has two levels you can put it on - we did the lower one and it's low, so I really don't worry about the falling out! I got one of these bumper things that fits under the fitted sheet instead of a rail. I am liking it too!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089CK5ME?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01
    I know you have a whole lot more to figure out with 3 boys, but for us, this has all been a smooth transition! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stokes!!! The Charlotte mom squad thinks you should remove the springs part from the crib and put the mattresses all the way on the floor. Does that make sense? If not, call me! Love you!! :)

    ReplyDelete