Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Peas, please!

The boys are in their 7th month of life and that means their palate can begin its road to sophistication. Our pediatrician said we can go ahead and start food in addition to their bottles. I was a little nervous to start feeding them baby food. I think it was a fear of the unknown. Obviously as a first time mom, all this baby stuff is new to me. I'm sure you realize this, but I have a secret....I don't really know what I'm doing!!!

Anyway, I worked up my courage (why am I so weird about this stuff?!?!) and gave the boys some baby food this week. I introduced them to...PEAS! I chose peas because I hear you should start with vegetables before fruits and the first time I fed them was on Monday, which happened to be St. Patrick's Day and I needed to give them a GREEN food. I'm such a nerd because no one would have known if I gave them carrots or sweet potatoes or something not green instead. :)

I put the little guys in their Bumbo chairs. They haven't quite mastered sitting up in the Bumbos, but I think it's good practice for them. I took turns going down the line and spooning itty, bitty bites of peas into their mouths.  I got the biggest kick out of it. Ryan did the best and would open his mouth for me and actually seemed to like them. William and Stokes were another story. Stokes made a face similar to the face he makes when we give him his reflux medicine which is apparently bitter and nasty. William would basically push them out or let them dribble out of his mouth. He was not into it!

I just gave them a couple of bites. This is not an actual "meal" for them yet. I am just giving them some practice, introducing them to a spoon and baby food, and testing the waters. Plus I need practice myself! I am trying to get the hang of doing the 2nd swipe of the spoon across their mouths (and cheeks!) to catch everything that doesn't go into their mouth the first time around. Keep in mind that in the pictures below, I was trying to feed them with my left hand so I could take pictures with my right hand and I'm right-handed. Not coordinated with the spoon...at all. Feeding them peas is pretty messy right now even with my right hand...but each day we are all getting a little better!

 
Stokes


This is the hilarious face I'm talking about!




 
William






 
 
Ryan

He's like, "Mom, please don't make me do this!"



 
After eating some peas I put them all in exersaucers. Just trying some new things!!! They aren't quite big enough to really comfortably sit in them or play with them much, but it sure was cute.
 

1 comment:

  1. Katie - I used to put a rolled towel behind my two when they first started in the exersaucers to help them a bit. Not sure if your cuties need that!

    ReplyDelete