Friday, December 2, 2016

Adventures in Potty Training, part IV

You were missing these updates, weren't you?!?! It has been since late September when I posted last about our potty training adventure.

Well, Thanksgiving was interesting this year. In terms of potty training, it was horrible. Everything else was great. We had Stokes and William in underwear on Thursday but by Friday we were alternating between diapers and pull ups. There were just so many accidents. And there was a lot going on and so many people around, that it was not conducive to being on potty alert constantly.

Both of the boys had regressed somewhat and were starting to fighting going to the potty. They did NOT want to go at all. Since we've been home, William has even said that he's "scared" of the potty. I'm not sure if that's true, or if he just wanted an excuse to not have to use it, but that's where we are right now.

Candy as a treat no longer works. They aren't interested. I think I'll have to start a sticker reward system or maybe a grab bag type of reward. Other moms that are reading this, do you have any fool proof suggestions?!?! Pretty please?!?! :)

I was feeling a bit stressed with the whole situation when it dawned on me that maybe they aren't ready and it's not the end of the world to take a step back and try again later. Right now we ask them in the morning if they want to wear underwear or a pull up. Stokes has come around and wants to wear underwear again. He's once again doing OK. Not quite so many accidents. Thomas and I have talked to their teachers and they agree that Stokes is probably a little more ready than William, so we have him in underwear most of the time and William is wearing either diapers or pull ups. We're talking about "big boy underwear" almost like it's an honor or a privilege to get to wear it. Maybe that will make it sink in a little and we'll have more interest.

Oh, hello, old friends.
Welcome back.
I missed you. NOT.

In the meantime, I'm not going to try not to stress about it. I know they won't go to kindergarten in diapers, and in perspective, it's not a big deal at all to take a step back. My sanity needed a step back, I think.

I just thought we might be done by now. UGHHHHHH. We're hanging in there. Maybe by 2017 we'll have two potty trained fellas.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment